After a day of on and off rain on Saturday we woke up to overcast but much less humid conditions on race morning. I started well in the swim but soon began to feel the lack of swimming in the past two weeks and in the end of was fighting to hold the feet of the leaders as we got close to T1. I was glad to get onto dry land and onto the bike and I hit the lead in the first kilometer and went about trying to build a lead on the three others with me.
The Subic Bay bike course is very challenging and technical and not having totally been around the whole course prior to the race it made it tricky twisting and turning, climbing and descending through the jungle. I built up a solid lead coming into T2 although I didn't know exactly how far behind Ben Allen was as I started the 10km run.
In the first few kilometers the legs weren't feeling good at all and I felt like I was back at 36km in Ironman Cairns! I thought I was in for a sufferfest but as each kilometer past I felt better and stronger and not realizing at the time I was extending my lead. I was sure Ben was coming at me in the end as I couldn't see far behind me but I crossed the finish line in 1.59.25 over 3 minutes ahead of Ben in a new course record time.
I have to congratulate Fred and the whole Sunrise events crew for organizing a very successful, fun and challenging race. I really enjoyed my first time in the Philippines and I look forward to competing in more events here in the future.
Now it's back to San Diego and back to training. I can't wait!
CENTURY TUNA PHILIPPINES 5i50 RESULTS
1st – Luke Mckenzie 01:59:25
2nd – Ben Allen 02:02:40
3rd – Michael Murphy 02:05:46
Happy to claim my first 5i50 title in Subic Bay, Philippines
Definitely one of the more bizarre awards I have been involved in spraying the Alaska Milk instead of the tradition Champagne!
I was lucky to win a bunch of great things but I would have to say my giant cupcake would have to be my favorite!
No comments:
Post a Comment