Wednesday, July 03, 2013

SAN DIEGO TRIATHLON - A HAT TRICK OF WINS

It had been nine years since I raced the San Diego International triathlon and been back in town fresh off my trip to Australia and the Philippines I  thought I may as well line up and see how it went. You never know how the body is going to feel after long haul travel, still in recovery from Ironman and the limited training I had in the past three weeks I was definitely stretching my body to perform again for the fourth time in a month.

I knew the plan had to be go from the gun and see what happend. I got off to a clear start in the swim and instantly gained ten meters on the rest of the field. I made my way out of the water with a lead of around 15 seconds on the chase pack so I got on the bike and tried to get out of sight as soon as possible. Luke Bell rode really well in the beginning and bridged across to me on the first long climb. He let me set the pace the whole way but I knew I wanted to try get time on him going onto the run so I worked the descent back to transition in the last few kilometers and I was able to gap him before starting the run.

There were some gun runners in the field like Chris Foster who were capable of running a minute or two quicker than me on their best day so I was going to have to run hard at the start to maintain the gap. Near the half way point of the run I could see Chris was about a minute back and I would have to keep my pace in order to hold him off. He had raced in St. Louis the day before so he had to be tiring as the race went on and I used this to keep myself pushing all the way to the line.

I was super happy to win my third straight race and claim my fourth win of the year. I am really enjoying my shorter distance racing this season and I am definitely excited about the possibility of racing the Hy-Vee 5i50 Championships in Des Moines, Iowa at the beginning of September (based on qualification).

It's great to be home in Cardiff and back into the training routine. I have decided to take a break from racing for now and focus on a good training block going into the second half of the season.

SAN DIEGO INTERNATIONAL 
1km SWIM - 30km BIKE - 10km RUN 
ELITE MEN RESULTS

1.     Luke McKenzie                   1:27:20
2.     Chris Foster                           1:28:25
3.     Luke Bell                              1:29:40

Copywrite. Peggy Peattie / /UT San Diego

Copywrite. Peggy Peattie / /UT San Diego

No comments: