Thursday, June 13, 2013

IRONMAN CAIRNS - A WIN ON HOME SOIL



Last year I competed in the Ironman 70.3 event in Cairns and I vowed to come back and race the Ironman in 2013. My training in San Diego had been the best preparation I had leading into an event in a long time and I was chomping at the bit to get stuck into the race. 

I didn't feel great in the swim with the warm water temperature and wetsuit legal swim. It was very uncomfortable for everyone I am sure but I couldn't wait to get through the 3.8km and rip the thing off. I exited the water in 2nd place just under 2 minutes down on Clayton Fettell and just ahead of Chris McCormack. 

In the early stages of the bike I looked to try and get across to the gap to Clayton while being sure not to push too hard, too early. I caught up with Clayto around the 25km mark after he had taken it pretty easy in the beginning. We held a good pace up to Port Douglas swapping the lead every 10 odd minutes and from reports we were pulling ahead on the chasers. As we were about to make the first turn-a-round Clayto pulled up beside me and told me he had received a drafting penalty. Seemed pretty unfair for a guy that had been leading the race and is a renowned cyclist that had spent countless hours off the front of most races. Although to tell you the truth when I was riding at the front I never once turned around to see where he was sitting. 

Now pushing back into the wind and solo (Clayto had to pull into the penalty tent) I got to see where the competition was on the road. I was surprised to see I had already gained over 5 minutes and I was feeling great so I really worked to consolidate the move. I was able to keep pushing throughout the next few hours and kept seeing my time gap blow out further urging me to really commit to coming off the bike with an almost insurmountable lead. 

I felt great in the first 10km of the run and held a good pace as I got to see where my competitors where for the first time in over two hours. Having already completed the Yorky's Knob section of the run course I knew I had at least 10 minutes on Clayton and around 18 minutes on Tim Berkel and Macca. Doing the math I knew if I held my pace I had it won but it's that old saying in the back of your head. "it's an ironman anything can happen". 

My legs were definitely paying for the bike effort once I rounded the 25km turn point. I still had 13 minutes on a flying Tim Berkel but I was really struggling to turn my legs over for about 8km. I stopped at a few aid stations to re-group and try to bring myself around. I knew once I got on the last 8km lap the adrenaline would get me home. I focused on getting one foot in front on the other and blocked out Tim bearing down on me. 

I saw a bunch of my close friends at the 38km mark and they were all super pumped but nervous I wasn't going to hang on. They were all shouting at me to push but I knew I just needed to keep my pace with several minutes still up my sleeve. I would like to acknowledge just how awesome Tim Berkel's run was on the day. Finishing the bike 21 minutes behind me he ran an astonishing 2.44 and really had me on my toes right down to the line. In my opinion it was one of the best runs in an Ironman we have seen in Australia considering how strong the head wind was blowing on the Captain Cook highway.

Coming into town for the last time the crowd was amazing. I would see someone I knew every 10m cheering for me and with about 500m to go Amanda stepped out onto the road and gave me a high 5. We have been separated for a few months now but we are still very close and it was fitting she was there to share the day with me. 

Crossing the finish line for my first Ironman title on Australian soil was such an incredible feeling. To have my mum, dad and sister all there to experience it with me was a dream come true. I absolutely love everything about Ironman Cairns and I already can't wait to return in 2014! 

Ironman Cairns 
Cairns, Australia
June 9, 2013

Results

Men


1. Luke McKenzie (AUS) 8:17:42
2. Tim Berkel (AUS) 8:22:16
3. Chris McCormack (AUS) 8:32:50
4. Jason Shortis (AUS) 8:38:21
5. Clayton Fettell (AUS) 8:41:42

Photo Credits: Adam Weathered (c)









No comments: