Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A SOLID RETURN TO RACING IN LAKE STEVENS

I had a solid return to racing this past weekend at the Lake Steven Ironman 70.3 in Washington. I last raced at Ironman Brazil way back at the end of May so I was wondering how the body was going to feel about getting back to business. I have never taken a mid season break at this time of year but it was definitely something my body needed after two very demanding Ironman events early in the year not to mention 11 Ironman since the beginning of 2008. I feel a lot fresher in my training since taking a few weeks break in Europe during June and July. Hopefully it will serve me well going into the Hawaii Ironman. 

I started well in the swim and pushed to the lead for the first 800m till American Brian Fleishman pulled ahead as we turned back to shore. I swam comfortably at the front of the pack but with about 400m remaining my goggles began to leak and I couldn't see where I was swimming. I was just trying to keep an eye out for the splash from the other athletes to my side as my guide to the exit. I lost a spot or two as we hit the beach but amongst the main contenders heading onto the bike.

I love the bike course at Lake Stevens and I was hoping I might be strong enough to try and get a break on the guys I was riding with but given the quality of athletes (Joe Gambles, Luke Bell, Matt Lieto and Paul Ambrose to name a few) in the field that was a little ambitious thinking. I hadn't ridden a hard 90km for a long time and I initially struggled with the up and down pace and the short sharp hills were sending my heart rate through the roof. As the ride progressed I started to find a rhythm but it was evident that any breaks where going to be chased down so I had to look to the run to try take the win in this one. 

Off the bike and the pace was on from the get go. Joe Gambles took off after Luke Bell who was 1 minute up the road and I was just trying to find my legs and get them up to 70.3 speed. My body just wasn't ready to run at the 1hr 15 min pace I wanted to try and shoot for on the clock. The good news was I got stronger as the run progressed and actually began to make back some time on 3rd and 4th place in the closing few kilometers but obviously that was too little too late. I crossed the line in 5th place in 4:01:32 about 4 minutes off my previous time of 3:57 I recorded there in 2007. 

All in all it was a good hit out and indication that things are going strong with my Hawaii ironman preparation. 

Lake Stevens Ironman 70.3 
Lake Stevens, Washington 
Aug 15, 2010 
S 1.2 mi. / B 56 mi. / R 13.1 mi. 

Results 

1. Joe Gambles (AUS) 3:57:47 
2. Paul Ambrose (AUS) 3:59:07 
3. Luke Bell (AUS) 3:59:53 
4. James Cotter (USA) 4:00:55 
5. Luke McKenzie (AUS) 4:01:32 












Photo Credits: Amanda Balding, Sue Hutter and Murray Frank