I love training in Oregon and it's been another great training camp here in 2010. During the last week we haven't had the usual September weather and it has been well below average temperature wise but I have managed to soldier on and get some really good work done.
Today I took my Go Pro video camera on one of my favorite rides along the Cascade Lakes highway. It is a beautiful loop I do several times each year I am here in Bend and it never gets old. I thought today I would share what I get to experience with you all.
It's a 108 mile (174km) loop that goes from Bend (A/D) (3600ft) up Mt Bachelor (6350ft) over the course of 18 miles (30km) followed by a decent to Elk Lake (B) where today I had to stop for a Coffee to warm up. The next 50 odd miles a undulating but on the smooth roads makes for a pretty fast section. My second stop is in the town of Sunriver (C) (4000ft) at the 80 mile (128km) mark where I downed my usual Chocolate Milk and refilled the water bottle again. Leaving Sunriver its then another climb of around 14 miles (22km) on the South side of Mt Bachelor back up to the Cascade Lakes highway at around 6000ft before the final 25km decent back to town to finish a great ride.
Unfortunately I ran out of room on my memory card about halfway up Mt Bachelor. So sorry I missed the last 40 km. Hope you enjoy the ride!
RIDE - CASCADE LAKES LOOP (Bend/Sunriver, Oregon)
DISTANCE: 108 miles (174km)
START TIME: 11:25 am
FINISH TIME: 5:07 pm
RIDING TIME: 5 hr 14 min 51 sec
STOPS: 2
AVERAGE SPEED: 32.5 km/hr
MAX SPEED: 75.8 km/hr
AVERAGE POWER: 234 watts
CALORIES BURNED: 5690 cals
ALTITUDE LOW POINT: 3692 ft
ALTITUDE HIGH POINT 6362ft
TOTAL ALTITUDE GAIN: 4889ft
TEMPERATURE LOW: 5 C (41F)
TEMPERATURE HIGH: 22 C (71F)