I was hoping for hot, humid weather and Cairns delivered on race day with an absolutely picture perfect day. The Ironman 70.3 event started 20 minutes before the Ironman so we were in the water just as the sun was rising and set off on the 1.9km course. I lost Pete Jacobs about 2/3 of the way to the first turn and settled into a good rythmn I was comfortable with. I exited the water about 40 seconds behind and the first test of the day was going to be the long run to transition. I was happy to not feel any pain and I was soon on my bike and setting off after Pete. Casey Munro who I had been doing some training with in Noosa was riding well and we soon got within striking distance of Pete. As we rode through Smithfield I hit a small dip in the road and heard an almighty crack on my bike and all of a sudden my left arm pad dropped away and went skipping along the road. 30km into the race and now I faced a huge problem. Obviousy I could continue riding but I had nowhere to rest my arm. I tried to even use a drink bottle but unfortunately that didn't work. I tried to keep riding as best I could but spent most of the time riding on the hoods. It was an uncomfortable position to be trying to ride hard in. Josh Rix had passed me and I was riding in 4th but the gap to Pete and Casey was blowing out very quickly.
I arrived in T2 and as I put my shoes on three guys piled in about 10 seconds behind me. In the opening kilometer I was chewed up and spat out the back and was running in 7th. I was a little tender in my back but happy that it wasn't really causing me any pain that I was worried about. At the 3km mark there was an out and back section where I saw all the guys but Pete and I knew it wasn't impossible to still make it on the podium with a good run. I really started to loosen up by the 5km mark and was seeing all the guys come back to me quickly now. By the 8km mark I was back on the podium and running in third and I had my sights set on Josh Rix in 2nd. As we approached the 15km mark I could see him just ahead and I kept the pressure on to catch and pass him soon after. With Pete over 10 minutes ahead I was happy to now focus on keeping within myself to keep that 2nd place as mine. I was wrapped to claim my first Ironman 70.3 podium in over 12 months off a very frustrating few weeks of injury and in a race in which I had to perservere through some curve balls. Congratulations to Pete Jacobs on a dominate win. He was by far the superior swim, bike, runner on the day and deserved the win.
Now I was done it was time to get back out on the course and cheer on Amanda and some other friends in the Ironman. I was stoked to hear my mate Brett Carter was leading the age group race and was right in the mix of the professional race. He has been working super hard towards getting his pro card and in only his 4th ever triathlon he was going to not only achieve that but finish amongst some of Australia's biggest names in Ironman. He asked me about two weeks before the event. "Do you think I am good enough to go pro"? I know he was doubting himself but I never thought for a minute he didn't have the ability in him. Brett deserves a lot of respect as he works 9-5 as a lifeguard on the Gold Coast and recently took out a personal loan to buy his first TT bike so he could give himself a chance to make the qualifications to go pro. He doesn't have a sponsor to his name at this point yet I feel all that will change very soon.
It was also well documented that my mate Clint Kimmins was racing his first Ironman here in Cairns. Clint is a professional surfer from the Gold Coast who also lifeguards and he had become hooked on triathlon. To my knowledge no professional surfer has ever made the cross-over to triathlon. In October last year the challenge was set that this year he would break 10 hours in an Ironman and I would surf a legitimet 10 ft wave. Clint came into the race under an injury cloud having aggravated a ligament in his ankle so he was very nervous about tackling the marathon. It was inspiring to watch him guts it out on the day to finish in 9.41 and 3rd in the 25-29 age group. He was unlucky to miss a Kona slot by one!
Amanda was having a tough day feeling the affects of a crash she had in training two weeks ago. Unfortunately a guy clipped her back wheel riding through the streets of Mooloolaba and she landed hard on her side. Not being able to swim or run leading into the race wasn't an ideal taper but having had a very frustrating year of racing in 2011 she was determined to overcome her little set back. Just a few kilometers into the run her knee was already hurting her but she grinded out the course and finished in 11.24 and 8th in the pro womens race. I was very proud of her. She is already looking forward to her next Ironman in Coeur d'Alene in only 3 weeks time!!!
A massive thanks to USM events for such a great week in Cairns. All the team did a great job to put on a spectacular event and I already can't wait to return in 2013 to race the Ironman. The bike course along the stunning Captain Cook Highway is by far the best course on the Ironman circuit!
Tomorrow it's off to the USA for the summer. We are looking forward to returning to warm weather and training with our team Sirius Squad in Santa Monica. Next race on my agenda will be New York 5150 and one of my favorite races Vineman 70.3 in mid July.
RESULTS
CAIRNS IRONMAN 70.3 2012
1 Pete JACOBS - 3:55:51 (0:23:56; 2:11:50; 1:15:18)
2 Luke MCKENZIE - 4:08:01 (0:24:36; 2:18:31; 1:19:59)
3 Josh RIX - 4:09:34 (0:24:44; 2:15:04; 1:25:12)
4 Sam APPLETON - 4:10:12 (0:24:39; 2:18:59; 1:21:53)
5 Matthew BAILEY - 4:13:51 (0:24:41; 2:18:54; 1:25:25)
The boys redy to take on Ironman Cairns. Matt Rogers (70.3), Clint Kimmins & Brett Carter
The rain poured down on the afternoon before the race
The sky started to clear up on sunset & race day dawned to a perfect North QLD day
2nd in the Cairns Ironman 70.3. Happy after a frustrating few months with injury
Loved the course. I will be back for the full Ironman next year!
Pete dominated the race
The men's Ironman 70.3 podium. Josh Rix, Pete Jacobs & myself
Not the ideal way to ride 60km of the bike course. I got there though!
I was gutted for good friend and team Sirius training partner Bek Keat who had a healthy lead off the bike in the Ironman race and was forced to withdraw 7km into the run with a calf injury.
My Noosa training partner Belinda Granger had a solid day finishing 4th in the womans race
Amanda was stoked to be back racing Ironman after injury & illness marred her 2011.
Clint striding out on the Captain Cook highway on the run into Cairns
It was hot out in the cane fields
Half the 10/10 Challenge is complete. Clint claims a 9.42 for his first Ironman. Impressive
Amanda on the home stretch
It was a tough day but Amanda got over the line to finish her first Ironman in Australia
Clint, Matt & Brett celebrating a good day all round at the Ironman finish at midnight
Race sponsor Ricky Jeffs was on fire on the mic






