During my forced six weeks out of training to get my back right I was going absolutely mental with no swimming, biking and running in my life to keep me occupied so our plans to go on what would have been my last race of the season and end of year holiday stay in place. At least now I had something to look forward to and hopefully the last two weeks till I had my check up would fly by. I am so glad we made the trip for so many reasons.
It was such a great weekend in Phuket for the first ever Asian/Pacific IM 70.3 championships. Amanda and I had never been and it was fun watching some of our friends race and even more fun celebrating all of our successes during the year.
We left Thailand and continued onto Vietnam for our much anticipated holiday. We flew into the capital, Hanoi and immediately hit the streets to check everything out. I have to pinch myself sometimes when we travel to some of these amazing places. Amanda and I love to experience different cultures and explore foreign countries. Hanoi was pure craziness on the streets but we lapped up every minute.
We took a day trip from Hanoi out to Halong Bay and sailed on a junk boat to a few amazing locations where we kayaked, hiked and ate local foods throughout the day. It really was one of those life experiences that is every lasting.
After three days in the north we then flew south to Da Nang and took the short trip to our next destination Hoi An. What a contrast to the pace of Hanoi. Amanda was in shopping heaven! There were countless custom clothes makers throughout the ancient town not to mention some amazing restaurants. Within the first day I had already been measured for three new suits, custom tailored to me for bargain prices. Amanda had custom dress, skirts, shoes .... you name it. It had turned into a shopping extravaganza!
One day we took a bicycle tour with a local boy Phouc, and we cycled out into the countryside to his farm and house. We learnt about the local organic farming culture and took a cooking class with at his home. We learnt to cook some delicious Vietnamese dishes and best of all when we were done we got a 15 minute foot massage!
Sadly our seven days in Vietnam went too quick and before we knew it we were on the plane back to Phuket where we spent one more day at beautiful Surin Beach. Then it was home sweet home to our apartment in Noosa. It was a memorable trip but I am happy to be home and looking forward to my upcoming doctors appointment which I am confident I will get the all clear to start training again!
