Tuesday, May 04, 2010

BACK TO BACK WINS IN BUSSO

I am stoked to report that over the weekend I won my second straight
Busselton Half Ironman title in 3.47.18. A really strong field
assembled for the biggest Half Ironman event in Australia and it made
for a really great race.

My swim went to plan and I exited the water in first place with Paul
Matthews hot on my heels. Once we mounted our bikes I was determined
to build a lead and I soon found myself solo out in front. Last year I
used a strong bike ride to win the race and I pretty much followed the
same formula this year with great success. By the time I racked my
bike in T2 I had a 6+ minute lead on a group containing a lot of good
runners. One little mishap coming off the bike was running out of
transition in the wrong direction and then with all of the confusion
not knowing who to listen too. I finally found the exit and got out
onto the run course. I felt great throughout the 21km run and
maintained a good lead all the way to the finish-line.

I have to send out a big thank you to Hayley and Brian from Triathlon
WA for their amazing hospitality during my four days in Busselton.
They really do organize one of the best events I have competed in
around the world.

Next up for me is a three week training camp in Kona, Hawaii before
heading to Florianopolis, Brazil for Ironman Brazil, May 30th.


RESULTS - WESTERN AUSTRALIA HALF IRONMAN, BUSSELTON, 2010

1. Luke McKenzie (AUS) 3:47:16
2. Tim Reed (AUS) 3:51:57
3. Tim Berkel (AUS) 3:51:59
4. Courtney Ogden (AUS) 3:55:35
5. Mitchell Robins (AUS) 3:56:51
6. Guy Crawford (NZL) 3:57:24
7. Paul Matthews (AUS) 4:11:27
8. Finnbar Ingram (AUS) 4:12:25
9. Johan Borg (AUS) 4:14:20 * AG M18-24
10. Troy Drinan (AUS) 4:14:25