Saturday, November 07, 2009

CRASH & BURN!

I had a bad feeling at about 80 miles into the bike that I was about to suffer. Boy did I suffer! 

It all started out well today with a solid swim in a very choppy Gulf of Mexico. It was chaos on my second lap trying to navigate my through the huge amateur field. I came out in the lead with company from one other guy but as soon as we hit the bike I started to build a lead. The first 80km was really tough was a strong cross and head wind. Plus, who ever said Ironman Florida is flat ... it's not! There is plenty of rollers out there. Guess it pays to go over the bike curse in future?I was feeling really strong and was encouraged to hear I was gaining about 1 minute every 10 miles up till around the 70 mile mark. Unfortunately my lack of quality biking since Hawaii began to catch up with me. I really started to struggle around 80 miles and by mile 85 I had absolutely blown to pieces. I really had to slow down and regather myself and get some calories into me. I was really surprised I managed a 4 hrs 30 minutes with the wind and a diabolical last 40km. 

I sat in the change tent in T2 putting my shoes thinking, "How on earth am I going to get through this run". I felt like I was running on fumes already! I still had a marathon to run! I ran the first mile in 6.31, the next in 6.35, then a 6.40 ... I was going backwards and it was about to get worse. I was passed for the lead at mile 7 and I put up a lackluster fight for about half a mile before I had to let him go. Mile 10 was when I first stopped and walked an aid station. Unfortunately this set a bad habit and for the majority of the remaining aid stations I stopped, walked, contemplated just laying down and calling an end to the day that went south. 

I fought my way around the second lap losing another couple of places and crossed the finish line in 7th lace in 8.37.59. Initially I was really annoyed with myself for being arrogant enough to think I could race another Ironman in an already huge season. Then after I sat and talked about my day with Amanda and some friends I realized I had pushed myself through the last four plus hours of the race. I am glad I gutted it out and didn't take the easy option and pull out. 

Well that's a wrap. Done for 2009. Not the end to it that I wanted but in all a very pleasing season of racing. Time to put the feet up for a few weeks, enjoy some time away from triathlon and plan season 2010. 

On another note, unfortunately Amanda's day was cut short when she was DQ'd on the bike for a few drafting violations. I wish WTC would listen to the Pro women and set them off more than 10 minutes before the age group men! It really isn't far that the Pro women have to keep a 10 meter distance from any rider but an age group man can be at 7 meters! When she rode 120 km solo by herself then as soon as an age group men's "peleton" catches her and SHE is the one that is busted (not once but twice) there is something wrong with that picture. Draft buster need to be tougher on the huge packs and give the women a fairer go! 

IRONMAN FLORIDA RESULTS 2009


1.    
KIRILL KOTSHEGAROV   8:24:29
2.    MAXIM KRIAT   8:26:51
3.    MASSIMO CIGANA   8:28:04
4.    NICK SAUNDERS   8:31:44
5.    CHRISTOPHE BASTIE   8:35:29
6.    PETER SCHOISSENGEIER   8:37:03
7.    LUKE McKENZIE   8:37:59
8.    RAYNARD TISSINK   8:40:21
9.    BRANDON MARSH   8:42:41
10.    ROMAIN GUILLAUME   8:47:52