Friday, August 28, 2009

IM LOUISVILLE COURSE RECON

Just got back from a drive around this weekends Ironman Louisville bike course and boy was I surprised. I was told it was "rolling hills" but I didn't think it would be as tough as this! I am really excited because it is definitely the sort of bike course I love. Lot's of short sharp power climbs and lots of twisting descents. The countryside is beautiful beyond the city limits with lots of farms and horse ranches. 

Tomorrow I will ride over the run course and check it out but after talking to Greg Welch he assures me it is pancake flat apart from the first climb up onto the bridge and a small dip under a railways crossing! We pass some of the big local attractions including the Churchill Downs race course (the sight of the Kentucky Derby) and the Louisville Slugger stadium! 

I haven't swam in the river yet and I think I will wait till race day as it looks a little dirty (don't want to risk sickness at this stage) but it looks like we have a bit of a current to contend with which I always like. Up until race day I will stick with the pool.  

The weather has been HOT! Nice and sticky during the day hovering at around 32 c/90F (maybe even hotter?) We got a nice evening thunderstorm tonight that cooled things down a little. The forecast is for cooler temperatures come Sunday but I think we might be in for a hot one!?! 

We have set up camp across the river from transitions at the local KOA (Camp across America) Amanda and I are in the Camper while Joe has pitched a tent beside us. Amanda has been cooking up a storm on the camp BBQ including Pancakes for breakfast and a nice juicy steak tonight! 

Tomorrow is a busy day with a lot of media commitments including the press conference, Universal Sports and Ironman.com interviews.