Tuesday, July 21, 2009

VINEMAN 70.3. A SHOCKER OF A DAY

Unfortunately I didn't have the race I was expecting at the Vineman 703 this past week. I had wanted to do this race for years and finally having the opportunity I thought I would hit this race on our road trip towards our summer base in Bend, OR. 

Not having done much in the way of training over the past month since Ironman Japan I guess I could have expected to struggle a bit with the pace of a fast half ironman. My real battles started before the race though where on the 45 minute car ride to the start town of Geurneville I got car sick and vomited three times. I didn't feel very well for the hour before the start but of course I was going to try and race. 

I instantly knew that I wasn't myself when I struggled straight away in the swim. I actually got dropped by the main group going out the turn a round. I fought my way back up the group on the way back downstream and started to feel a little better by the time I hit shore. 

Onto the bike I initially felt fine and tried to set a good pace to bridge across to the leaders but after I topped a small climb about 10km into the 90km my body felt like it had been hit by a Mack truck and I went all heavy. I could feel the lactic acid in my muscles and all of a sudden I couldn't get my heart rate up. I let the group I was riding with go and I was left in no mans land. After trying to fight with my body for 5 - 10 more minutes I decided to sit up, enjoy a Sunday morning ride in wine country and try agin another day. It is always disappointing to have a DNF. I have only had one other DNF in the last 2 years and something I have worked very hard on is to fight through the harder days like Vineman, but I feel like I made a good decision to pull the pin and put my energy into my training for the next 10 weeks leading into Hawaii. After an easy month and a bit of partying post Japan my mind and body are prepared to take on the hard work that lays ahead.  

I have to commend Joe Gambles on his awesome race at Vineman. He has been close to a 70.3 victory on many occasions in the past few years and he put together a very strong race to totally dominate a quality field. He is definitely a big player in the 70.3 distance and will be one to watch in Clearwater!