Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A QUICK TRIP TO SYDNEY & IRONMAN OZ

Amanda and I have just got back from a whirlwind trip to Sydney and Port Macquarie. We flew into Sydney on Friday evening and headed straight to Bondi where Hilray Biscay and I ran the famous Bondi to Bronte coast run before we headed to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Sydney, North Bondi Italian. 

We were up early Saturday morning and in the car on our way to Port Mac. Arriving around lunch time I launched straight into some sponsorship commitments with PowerBar and did an interview with Chris Legh for Australian Triathlete magazine. I was able to squeeze in a little training before heading out for dinner at the pub and a catch up with everyone. 

Sunday morning I was up early and looking forward to the big race. The rain was coming and going and I hoped it would ease for those who were racing. Because I wasn't racing I was commentating with local legend and commentator extraordinaire Pete Murray, my triathlon Godfather Noel Phillips from GCT and NBN televisions Mike Rabit. I really enjoyed my day on the microphone, covering the race and watching it all unfold. The two young Aussies Tim Berkel and Pete Jacobs definitely hit two time defending champ Patrick Vernay with everything they had but in the end he was just too strong. 

Watching Chrissie Wellington was equally impressive. At one stage at 50km into the bike she was only 4 something minutes off the lead of the mens race which was astonishing! She looked like she did it with ease and to go 8.57 on a course like Port Macquarie looking that easy I can't imagine what she is capable of in the future.

Some of my mates I raced with in Australian teams as a junior made a comeback to racing and competed in their first Ironman. Trent Chapman blasted back onto the scene after about 10 years out of the sport. When I saw him in Sydney about a year prior he was 85+ kg's and really unfit. You wouldn't have known it was the same guy running around the Port Mac course and smashing the 30-34 year old record with a 8.47 ... awesome! Big mention also to Dave Clark who won the 25-29 age group and came 11th overall with his 8.56. It's good to see the boys are back and no doubt they will be lining up in the pro race next year after the smash their age groups in Kona

Monday we were back in Sydney and being the 6th it was Amanda's birthday. We had to attend to a few things before we could celebrate. I had to renew my US Visa at the US consulate and then make a quick stop at the accountants. We went out for a beautiful dinner at Long Grain restaurant in Surry Hills with Adrian, Mina, Alice and Jimmy. It was a great night!

Tuesday we had a quick run in Centennial Park before we jumped on the plane home to Noosa. It's good to be back home and now it's time to ramp up the training leading into some of my upcoming races. Next week we are off to China for the Ironman 70.3. Things are starting to get busy!