Thursday, September 25, 2008

LONG DISTANCE WORLD RANKINGS

Something interesting I stumbled over on the net today was a website called triathlonrankings.com. I have often thought "we" as long distance athletes need something like this system to match other rankings available to short course/ITU athletes. While the system might not truly indicate the "very best" which I would personally consider #1 Chris McCormack (based on his IM and IM 70.3 results in the last 12 months), at least we now have something beyond a single race result or the pressure of a single day in Hawaii or Clearwater to take to our sponsors and supporters. It gives our "whole season" meaning and consistency in results is rewarded in these rankings.

I was surprised to see I came in 11th as of the current rankings (which started as of Jan 2008). It's great to see I am up there. With Kona and Clearwater just around the corner I suspect the rankings will change and we will see the more Europeans in the top 25 (as they seem to race less than the Aussies and Brits) 
 
TOP 25 WORLD RANKINGS (Long Distance) as of Sept 24th, 2008

RANK ATHLETE COUNTRY POINTS RACES
1. Stephen Bayliss United Kingdom 127 6
2. Craig Alexander Australia 102 6
3. Terenzo Bozzone New Zealand 90 6
4. Chris Legh Australia 84 7
5. Chris Mc Cormack Australia 80 4
6. Chris Mc Donald Australia 77 4
7. Patrick Vernay France 72 2
8. Richie Cunningham Australia 70 7
9. Petr Vabrousek Czechia 69 6
10. Mitchell Anderson Australia 63 3
11. Luke McKenzie Australia 63 4
12. Oscar Galindez Argentina 62 4
13. Marino Vanhoenacker Belgium 59 3
14. Fraser Cartmell United Kingdom 59 5
15. Paul Amey United Kingdom 58 4
16. Paul Ambrose United Kingdom 58 8
17. Faris Al-Sultan Germany 57 3
18. Leon Griffin Australia 56 5
19. Pete Jacobs Australia 51 3
20. Marcel Zamora Spain 51 3
21. Olaf Sabatschus Germany 50 2
22. Joe Gambles Australia   50 4
23. Cameron Brown New Zealand 49 2
24. Ronnie Schildknecht Switzerland 49 2
25. Francois Chabaud France 47 3