Thursday, September 25, 2008

BUSY FEW WEEKS. TRAIN, RACE, TRAIN, RACE etc etc

Its been a very busy few weeks since my last post. Since Amanda and I returned from Singapore we have been logging some really good training in the Santa Monica mountains just north of LA. While we were in town we took the opportunity to compete in the local Nautica Malibu Triathlon which I worked into a busy training schedule. I used the weekend as a good hit out of hard efforts combined with a few long rides and runs. 

Saturday was the Olympic distance race where a very competitive field assembled. I didn't have the quick run legs to be competing with 30 min 10km run splits but I finished strong in 11th place. We had fun on the Sunday which was the "Celebrity relay" day. I teamed up with Chris Lieto and Model Maxine Bahns. Chris swam, Maxine rode and I tested my speed with a 4 mile run. We finished 3rd in a competitive race. Ideally I should have swum, Chris should have rode and Maxine run but we were out to have fun so we mixed it up. 

It was amazing to see the papparazzi going crazy over the celebrities at the race. JLo, Mathew McConaughey and Cindy Crawford to name a few. It must be so annoying to live like that?!  

The week after Malibu was a big training week with some final key sessions leading into Kona. I was really pleased with the week and after thoughts of not competing in Cancun I decided to make the trip and thought maybe if I had a solid day I could pick up some cash and one last race before Hawaii. 

Things didn't really go to plan in Cancun and I soon found that deciding to race off the back of a huge week wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. I led the swim out comfortably but as soon as I got on the bike I felt sluggish and tired. I tried to push for the first 25km but the body wasn't responding. I had pumped out two really good bike sessions on the Monday and Wednesday prior and I found it a little annoying I didn't bring those legs for the race. I rolled into transition well out of contention for the podium and after running one 10km lap of the brutally hot run I called it a day. Amanda and I have a no quit policy but on this day I feel I made a good choice with Hawaii so close. All was not lost, I got a long run in that afternoon and a quick swim and run on Monday (in the very humid heat) before flying home to LA.

First out of the water in Cancun ... not so good on the bike!

Amanda and I have started to pack our bags and organize everything for the move to Kona, Hawaii. I can't wait to get back there. Only a few days to go ... I am excited!