Tuesday, July 15, 2008

LIFETIME FITNESS TRIATHLON

This past weekend I raced the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I had been asked the week prior if I would be interested in leading Aaron Scheidies in the race. Aaron is legally blind and has the World Record for the Olympic distance at 1 hour 58 minutes!

The race went really well considering the short amount of time we had to practice swimming, riding and running together. The Minneapolis course made for a more technical ride than most courses and it was tough on the tandem bike to hold our speed. Unfortunately due to Aaron's media commitments we missed his Elite wave start and we were forced to start further back in the field which made for a tricky swim (since we were tied to each other by a tether) The bike course was very tight and that was also tricky as we were passing a lot of the athletes that started ahead of us. Aaron dug deep on the run to finish in 2 hours and 7 minutes (a great time on a not so fast course!)

It really was a great experience for me to be Aarons guide and meet all the people associated with the C Different Foundation. Matt Miller and Aaron really have put together a great program to help Blind athletes get involved in triathlon. Aaron really is looked up to by many blind athletes and he is a great model for all athletes that have had adversity in their life.

After the race I happily donated a pair of my race wheels to the C Different Foundation. I am sure Matt will make sure they go to good use for any athletes racing for the Foundation.

Check out more on the C Different Foundation: http://www.cdifferent.org/