Last bike ride done, bike checked in, transition gear bags checked and double checked ... less than 24 hours till kick off.
It's still raining here in Fukue, Japan ... it just seems like it won't go away! It's not expected to clear up either .... the forecast is for more of the same tomorrow for the race. It looks like it is going to be a soggy day at the office!
As you can tell by the heavy blogging these past few days, there isn't much for a westerner to do here in Japan besides surf the internet and read the few magazines and books we bought with us. The one english TV channel isn't showing anything worth watching and it's a long time between the Euro 2008 soccer games and last years Tour De France coverage each day. I am glad that race day is upon us as I think we will get "cabin fever" if we were stuck inside any longer!
I look forward to the race tomorrow for a few different reasons. For the first time in my short Ironman career I am not racing for my Hawaii Ironman slot (I got it at Ironman Australia in April) so it gives me the opportunity to race without that pressure looming in the back of my mind.
With only 1 Hawaii slot going to the women, Amanda has opted not to race here in Japan and save her effort for Ironman Canada later in the season. That plus it would have been her third Ironman in four months makes that a wise decision. I love it when we both compete in the the same events but I also like it when Amanda is able to watch and support me out on the course, so that will be great tomorrow.
Thanks to all my friends and supporters who have sent emails over the past few days ... they mean a lot and I hope I can do you all proud tomorrow! It's awesome to get emails from people at home in Oz, from all over the USA and even in Europe .... Cheers!