I thought I would be "lacking a little speed" for such a short race but to my surprize I felt amazing and actually won the race, leading from start to finish in the process!
The swell was up and surf skills came into play during the 1.5km swim leg. I caught a nice little wave at the end of the swim to pull clear of a few swimmers on my feet and lead out of the water.
On the bike I just put my head down from the start and didn't look back! My brand new Litespeed Saber equipped with Xentis TT wheels bulldozed through the strong wind to give me a comfortable 5 minute plus lead going into the the run.
I ran solid but well within myself during the 10km run. I broke the tape in 1 hr 51 min 33 seconds, six and a half minutes in front of second place.It was great to return to racing with a win and I am really looking forward to the start of my International racing season which begins in 3 weeks time in Hawaii.
Thanks again for all the amazing support I have received from everyone. Your faith in me during the tough times has really pulled me through. I can't say how much I appreciate it.
Thanks!
Cheers
Luke
RESULTS
BYRON BAY TRIATHLON
1.5km SWIM - 40km BIKE - 10km RUN
12/05/07
1st Luke McKenzie 19:49 0:55:27 36:16 1:51:33
2nd Boyd Conrick 20:11 1:00:44 37:06 1:58:02
3rd Klayten Smith 22:37 1:00:48 37:38 2:01:05
4th Nino Calabro 21:47 1:03:47 35:37 2:01:11
5th Ben Holland 22:35 1:03:27 36:00 2:02:02
.jpg)
.jpg)


Photography by Chris Hill (copyright)