Making the best of a bad situation is probably the best way to put it. I was having a great day at Ironman Lake Placid yesterday, holding down 4th place for a lot of the way. I was feeling great and looking at a good finish result but unfortunately my body started to reject the nutrition I was putting in after about 20km of the marathon and I soon found myself with zero energy and about 10km to run! I struggled with all I could to the finish line barely making it up the last hill through town where thousands of crazy fans were screaming at me to keep going. In the end I was just happy to make it ... I finsihed my second Ironman! Although the place and the time (9hr 8 minutes) weren't what I was expecting, given the way things turned out I was happy to just finish, and in the top ten was the bonus. I guess I learnt a lot about Ironman racing yesterday and will take all those lessons onboard so I never have to feel like that again ... it was horrible! I feel fine today, probably due to the IV drips I received in the medical tent after I finished?!
The other good news is I achieved my goal and qualified to race the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii held in October. I am really looking forward to racing there for the first time!
I am happy to say I am on holidays for the next two weeks and I am really looking forward to getting home to Australia and seeing my beautiful girlfriend Shelli and my parents and sister and my mates. See you next weekend to celebrate my 25th Birthday!
Thanks so much to Peter and Patty who I stayed with here in Lake Placid. Your hospitality was amazing and I appreciate everything you did for my in my state of delerium yesterday after the race. It was great to have your support!
Look forward to catching up with everyone soon!
Best Regards
Luke McKenzie
Professional Triathlete
Australia
www.lukemckenzie.com
RESULTS
IRONMAN USA LAKE PLACID
23 July 2006
TOP 10 MALE ATHLETES
1 VICTOR ZYEMTSEV 08:38:18
2 TOM EVANS 08:39:12
3 RUTGER BEKE 08:46:44
4 ANDRIY YASTREBOV 08:57:23
5 MIKE NEILL 08:57:44
6 BRYAN RHODES 09:00:18
7 PETR VABROUSEK 09:03:12
8 PAUL FRITZSCHE 09:03:32
9 CHRIS MCDONALD 09:07:55
10 LUKE MCKENZIE 09:08:27



No comments:
Post a Comment