All signs in training pointed to me having a really good race in Cabo. I had produced some very good consistent work over the summer in Noosa with coach Siri and I was full of confidence that I was ready to smash one out of the park. My only problem was that after a really good start to the swim and bike I didn't race my usual race. I played it conservative on the bike and unfortunately later having issues with my back again and not been able to push the pedals at even a coffee shop riding pace I was extremely frustrated. I lost minutes and spent time on the side of the road in an effort to keep myself in the game. I tried to recompose myself and get through the bike but with 35km to go and a tough climb I knew my day was done. I had trained for better than this. I was in better shape than this. I have dealt with my back and it flaring up in races for the past few years and at this point so early in the season I had to call it a day. I thought about how I tried to push through at Ironman Melbourne a year earlier and it really put a big dent in the start of my season. I thought about the recent Ironman races I had struggled through just to get across the line in the past 24 months. No pay cheques, measly points towards Kona and a trashed body with another Ironman in the legs. I was calling this one a day and look ahead to the next battle.
Back in the USA in San Diego a few days later it was time to refocus and get on with things with a whole season of racing ahead. When times get tough I always turn to a quote; Get knocked down seven times, get up eight. So I put all my energy into getting ready to race Oceanside Ironman 70.3 just a short drive up the road from where we are living in San Diego.
I definitely went into the race extra nervous because I had toed the line in Oceanside twice in my career and hadn't had good races at all. I have always struggled to race in cold conditions and Oceanside was typically on the colder side for my liking. It was a hoodoo race I really wanted to get the better of this time around.
Oceanside Ironman 70.3 always attracts a competitive field but this year it may have taken the cake. Many of the best 70.3 athletes in the world were there to kick start their season and you were going to have to bring your A game for a result. I had a very average swim after a slower than usual start but soon bridged up to the leaders on the bike. At this point Andi Boecherer had launched himself on a solo mission but all the other main contenders were there and preparing for an all out running race. Once we hit the pavement at Oceanside pier the pace was on! I couldn't believe the speed that Jesse Thomas, Andy Potts and some of the other guys took off at. I stuck to my guns on a pace I knew I could maintain and had to have the faith I could reel some of them back in. Slowly and surely I did and I built my run perfectly to finish strong and pass three guys in the last 2 miles for a solid 9th place. I guess having recently trained more specifically for Ironman Los Cabos I didn't have the higher end speed to match everyone in each discipline over 70.3 but my pacing and steady approach came through. 9th place isn't anything to write home about but when you have had a rough patch of racing you have to take the positives from a day that went your way and you got the job done. It's a step forward and motivation to want more in the next one.
Speaking of next race I am looking at the US Ironman 70.3 Pro Championships in St. George Utah as my next race leading into Ironman Brazil. I have decided to not plan too far ahead beyond that with regards to Kona qualification but obviously that is the objective for the season. The main objective really is to just get back to having some consistency and fighting for the results I know I am capable.
Thanks to my team who were on hand to support me on the weekend. Having Amanda there (making a huge trip for only 5 days to be there) was very important to me. Also Brit and Steph who have had me in their home here in San Diego and always do everything they can to support me whether it is in the race or during my training. I love all three of you guys!
Accenture Ironman 70.3 California
Oceanside, CA, USA
March 30, 3013
RESULTS
ELITE MEN
| Name | Country | Swim | Bike | Run | Finish | Div. Rank | Overall |
| POTTS, Andy | USA | 0:20:47 | 2:15:10 | 1:10:31 | 3:49:45 | 1 | 1 |
| THOMAS, Jesse | USA | 0:22:13 | 2:14:12 | 1:10:35 | 3:49:55 | 2 | 2 |
| BOECHERER, Andi | GER | 0:21:16 | 2:11:11 | 1:16:25 | 3:51:56 | 3 | 3 |
| SCHILDKNE, Ronnie | SWI | 0:22:47 | 2:13:17 | 1:12:47 | 3:52:09 | 4 | 4 |
| MARSH, Brandon | USA | 0:20:58 | 2:15:26 | 1:13:00 | 3:52:32 | 5 | 5 |
| MCMAHON, Brent | CAN | 0:21:12 | 2:19:25 | 1:10:28 | 3:53:54 | 6 | 6 |
| JONES, Jordan | USA | 0:22:16 | 2:13:38 | 1:14:45 | 3:54:04 | 7 | 7 |
| VAN LIERDE, Frederik | BEL | 0:21:22 | 2:14:36 | 1:16:13 | 3:55:30 | 8 | 8 |
| MCKENZIE, Luke | AUS | 0:21:29 | 2:14:48 | 1:15:58 | 3:55:39 | 9 | 9 |
| ODONNELL, Timothy | USA | 0:20:56 | 2:15:22 | 1:16:25 | 3:55:43 | 10 | 10 |
Thanks for the pix TRI RIG , Nil Nilsen, TRI LOUNGE and Katie Araujo






1 comment:
good to see you're focusing on the positive mate.. good result in oceanside against a tough field early in the year - good signs mate.
good luck in utah!
Post a Comment