We traveled to Auckland on boxing day for our good friends Terenzo & Kelly were due to be married. The next morning we hopped on a ferry to beautiful Waiheke Island and settled into our cozy hilltop bungalow. Because we had a day to kill on the island before the ceremony we did some training (riding around the island was a mission with the steep hills) before spending the afternoon at some of the amazing wineries. Cable Bay was our favourite with a good drop of red, tasty food and 180 degree views over the Tamaki Strait and the city of Auckland in the distance.
The wedding the following day was set high on a hill in the elegant Lavender Hill Estate and it was great to catch up with a lot of the kiwi triathletes. I hadn't seen a few of them like Kieren Doe, Richard Bailey and Nathan Richmond for years so the reception was great fun.
After a slow start the next morning we headed to a cool little beach house on Palm Beach for a BBQ with the wedding guests and everyone lazed around on the beach and soaked up the sun. I sent a few hours doing some training with Terenzo's groomsman Sam Mayhew doing some swimming, board paddling and kayaking. I had a blast doing a different kind of workout from the regular swim, bike, run but it wouldn't be for another few days I would regret my over eagerness on the paddle board!
Amanda sliding into Cable Bay
Wine tasting at Cable Bay
Good wine and views
Dinner overlooking Omeroa Bay
Sunset from our bungalow nigh on the hill overlooking the Tamaki Strait
Ready to hit Terenzo & Kellys wedding
Fun day post wedding at Palm Beach on Waiheke
Sad to say goodbye to Waiheke Island after a fun filled three days!
Unfortunately out time on Waihiki was up and it was time to head back to the mainland and onto Mt Maunganui where we would train for the week leading into the Port of Tauranga Half Ironman. Amanda and been here for a quick visit several years ago post Ironman New Zealand but it was . We had scored phenomenal weather and our week of training in Mt Maunganaui was off to a great start. Running around the mount is an absolute must do where in Mt Manganui and I was hooked on runs up, down and around for the first few days. I was also enjoying open water swims in Pilot Bay and the ride along the coast to Papamoa until one day I woke up with a very sore, swollen and throbbing right knee. I took the day off training hoping it would go away but the following day it was obvious something wasn't right and I had picked up an infection.
Turns out my board paddling on Waiheke Island had come back to haunt me. I noticed that day at the beach that I grazed my knees on the knee pads (I'm guessing the skin wasn't use to the abrasion?). After a few days of swimming in the open water and in the local indoor pool I guess the graze on my right knee somehow picked up an infection? I went to the doctors and he confirmed I had a Staph infection. This was NOT what I needed to hear two days before my first race of the season. I was ordered to rest and not do anything on it and consider not starting the race. In my head I was really keen to race as it was a race I had been looking forward to competing in for years. It was going to be a tough decision.
After talking to Amanda and my coach Siri we decided the night before the race that I would do the swim and see how I felt. Still not really able to run with the swelling in my knee and the inflamed glands in my groin I did the swim and proceeded to go horribly off course towards the end of the first lap. I still managed to be just in front of Cam Brown and James Bowstead starting the bike but it only took 10km to know that I shouldn't be racing. I reluctantly pulled to the side of the road and called it a day. The truth was I was still another 2 or 3 days away from been able to push my body again. Since we were traveling to Chile to compete in the Pucon Ironman 70.3 the following weekend it was important I look after myself and get rid of the infection. Soooo .... what did we learn here? 1) No over eagerness to do different training in the days before a race and 2) Don't start a race when fighting an infection.
Amanda and I do really have to thank the organizers of the Port of Tauranga Half. It really is a great event and I am super keen to return in the future to race this event.
Here is a few pix I snapped during our time in Mt Maunganui ...
Main Beach
Morning run up the Mount looking back over Main Beach
I absolutely loved the running trails around the Mount
The result of my board paddling. A Staph infection in my right knee. NOT happy!














No comments:
Post a Comment