Wednesday, November 21, 2012

BACK IN MEXICO!

Amanda and I are currently on the beautiful island of Cozumel in Mexico preparing for my last race of the 2012 season. We arrived earlier than we originally planned due to cooler weather in LA. Getting ready to take on a hot and humid race takes some acclimatizing and I feel I am more comfortable and train better in these conditions anyway.



AMANDA RIDING THE BRAND NEW BIKE PATH THAT LOOPS AROUND THE ISLAND 

The island really is set up well for triathlon training and from what I hear they are looking to continue to build the infrastructure and facilities to cater for triathletes to come here for camps. The bike path that now loops 65km around the island is simply amazing with no vehicle traffic allowed and it's perfect hot mix surface truly is a pleasure to ride. No hills in Cozumel you say? I would say ride the back stretch of the island on a windy day (quite frequent here it seems) and you won't be complaining about missing hills. A 25m swimming pool (free) in the center of town as well as two 400m tartan running tracks are some of the other impressive facilities here in the city of San Miguel. It really has been easy to fall into a normal training pattern.

COZUMEL AT IT'S BEST. BLUE SKY, NO WIND & HOT
                                  
THE FOLLOWING DAY. DARK, STORMY, WINDY & RAINING 

It's now Ironman race week the town is beginning to fill with athletes and we are seeing more and more riders and runners around the island. The weather has been a real mixed bag the last three days after a week of perfection. Sunday was horrendously windy to the point I was thinking maybe we were getting hit by a hurricane. The next morning we woke to a postcard perfect day, not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind. Yesterday we woke to drizzling rain and even a little chill in the air (for Cozumel). Today the blue sky is back and the wind is howling. So who knows what we have in store tomorrow and leading into the race on Sunday? One thing I know is that the island is going to provide us with a tough race either way. It will not only take physical strength but also a lot of mental strength to battle these elements.

SUNDAYS COURSE CONSISTS OF A 1 LAP SWIM, 3 LAP BIKE & 3 LAP RUN

IRONMAN COZUMEL STARTS AT 6.40am US Central time 
Follow on: www.ironman.com for updates! 

I will be uploading photo's & video's leading into the race via my Facebook, Twitter & Instagram feeds

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/lukemckenzietriathlete
TWITTER: @lukemckenzie
INSTAGRAM: @lukemckenzie

No comments: