Sunday, October 16, 2011

HAWAII IRONMAN 2011

Many of you know I had to withdraw from the 2010 Hawaii Ironman only three days before the event. It was one of the hardest decisions in my life after training so hard all year to not line up that day. I was back this year and I wanted to make it count. I was coming off a very up and down season due to overtraining, fatigue and some bad race planning and travel. Every athlete in our sport is susceptible to a rough patch and I knew I had it in me to turn things around. I was determine to line up in this race and have an impact. Training with Crowie in the lead up to the race gave me that confidence and listening to my wife Amanda's advice to back off my training a lot more than usual definitely contributed to me turning my year around. People asked me what the difference was between Las Vegas and Hawaii. Well, it was about 10 hours a week less training and a lot more recovery. I now know I had simply been over cooked but I was well rested for Hawaii and I was ready and excited to race!

I got off to a great start in the swim and moved straight into the top 3-5 athletes on the journey out to the turn-a-round boat. The ocean was choppy and I knew that it was wise to tuck in and conserve as much energy as possible. I made a small push to get out the front of the pack in the last 200 meters of the swim and exited the water in a great position to have a clean transition. I was out of the change tent in a flash and was actually second onto the bike with the fastest transition of the day. This allowed me to take my time setting my shoes, getting my early nutrition in and taking it relatively easy through the town section. I am of the opinion that the 8 miles or so we do through town contributes to what causes "the pack" in the front of the pro mens race. By the time we hit Palani Hill and turn left onto the Queen Kaahumanu Hwy the athletes behind have ridden out of their skin to catch up to the front of the group and this creates "the train" that proceeds out of town into the lava fields. My plan was to keep myself out of trouble and right at the pointy end of the group. I was always in the top 4-5 riders in the first 25 miles and I was ready for any moves that would occur. After watching the race from the car last year I knew my best chance of making a move would be on the climb to Hawi. Chris Lieto, Faris Al Sultan, Andres Raelert, Marino Vanhoenacker and Craig Alexander all looked like they were also ready for this move and I could see the race ready to split early on the climb. I moved into the lead of the race as we passed Mahukona and what is considered the real climb up to the town of Hawi. I pushed into the strong headwind and by the time we reached the turn-around the numbers were dwindling. The descent is a crucial point in the race and I tried to keep Chris Lieto in sight as best I could as we sped downhill at 55 miles per hour. After 7km of descending it was down to Chris, myself, Craig and Marino. We had to commit to this move and we began to put time into our chasers. I continued to swap the lead with Chris and Craig over the next 20 miles before Lieto finally made a move I couldn't match. We had just under 30 miles to ride and I didn't want to over extend myself at this point of the race.

I felt strong after the Scenic Point climb and now within 15 miles of transition I wanted to press to extend my gap on the riders behind. I figured with Craig and Marino with me it was likely they would out run me but I thought I had a chance of catching Lieto on the marathon. With the gaps behind ranging from 3-8 minutes my theory was to try and put as much time between me and these guys as I could. I knew that if I could manage a 3 hour marathon then those behind were going to have to run in the 2.50 range to catch me. I could possibly walk away with a podium.

I entered T2 in second place around 5 minutes down on Lieto but still in the company of Alexander, Vanhoenacker and Dirk Boeckel. We had gained some time on Andreas Bocherer and Andreas Raelert and a lot of pre race favourites. I was still holding second as we started the marathon, the highest placing I had ever started the run at this event. Within half a mile I was joined by the two time champion, Crowie and we ran together for another half mile. He was very encouraging telling me to stay relaxed and in control and to be strong mentally. I really appreciated those few words before he started to pull away.

I was now running in third and holding myself together well. Chris McCormack was very supportive in these miles giving me great words of encouragement and telling me to trust my pace. Keep running to your watch he would yell every time I passed him. I became a slave to my watch checking it constantly to keep right on that 4.05/km pace. I was holding steady in the field with the exception of Crowie who was pulling away and Raelert and Jacobs who were charging from behind. Making the turn at 5.5 miles I finally got a chance to see my competition and the time gaps behind. I was surprised that Marino seemed to be losing time to me. I was now starting to believe a top five was possible. Sure I still had 19 miles to run but I was feeling strong and confident and with Lieto now stopped on the side of the road ahead I was due to make back a place very shortly.

Palani hill is always a telling part of the marathon and to tell you the truth my wheels almost fell completely off here at the 10 mile mark. I walked the aid station just before I entered the Queen K and Pete Jacobs and Andy Boecherer flew past. I was now in 6th place. I was in a rough patch and as I passed the 13 mile mark in 1hr 26 mins I could tell things were about to get worse. My pace had slowed to almost 4.45/km pace and with a few guys charging from behind I was going to be in a scrap to hold onto a top ten. I entered the lab in 6th and came out 7th as Raynard Tissink was coming home strong. Back onto the Queen K for the home stretch I lost two more places to Mike Aigroz and Timo Bracht as I was cramping in my quads and stomach. I was running through the side stitch as best I could but it was really affecting my pace and with a few uphills thrown in there, I was seeing a few 5 min/km's. At this stage of the race that could lead to me rocketing back through the field so I had to dig even deeper now. The final hill up to Palani was soon in sight and I had finally stopped cramping in my side and felt I could breathe normally again. My father was standing on the side of the road about halfway up the hill and with Faris Al Sultan only a minute behind he gave me that final ounce of strength to push to the line. Turning onto Ali’i the pain was dulled slightly with the adrenaline and I knew I had nailed my top ten goal. I crossed the line in 8.25. for 9th place and my highest finish yet in the Hawaii Ironman.

I was stoked to hear that Crowie had gone on to set a new Hawaii Ironman course record of 8.03.56 and fellow Aussie Pete Jacobs finished an amazing second after over coming a duel with Andreas Raelert late in the run. Three Aussies in the top ten was a great achievement.

I'd like to thank my sponsors for their amazing support in Hawaii this year. Erik and the crew at K-Swiss always have my back and Adrian and Flo from Scott and Alex, Jase, Troy and the team at Zipp/SRAM/Quarq were amazing in their support on the bike course. People like Chris McCormack, Nick Gates, Scott Fairchild, Rob Oseland, Jenny Fletcher, Emma Snowsill and Jan Frodeno helped encourage me on that brutal run more than you would even know!

I have an amazing group of sponsors that support me throughout the year. Thanks K-Swiss, Scott, PowerBar, SRAM, Zipp, Quarq, 3T, Prologo, Speedplay, Lazer, BlueSeventy, Smith, FuelBelt & Computrainer.

Thanks and congratulations to Craig Alexander. The last three weeks leading into the event you were so valuable in restoring my confidence in my abilities and motivating in your presence. It was just like old times when we lived in San Diego all those years ago. I knew before the gun had even gone off that you would destroy the race and it was really exciting to be part of it. Definitely a career highlight tearing up the Queen K with you mate!

I'd also like to thank other training partners through out the year including Guy Crawford, Matt Lieto, Brett Carter, Linsey Corbin, Belinda Granger and Greg Bennett. You are all so inspiring and fun to have around and it's these times I spend with you that I get the best out of myself as an athlete.

My parents Pete and Vic your support for the whole month leading into the race and throughout my career has been unwavering.

Lastly happy first wedding anniversary to my beautiful wife Amanda. I simply can't do it without her support. Word can't describe what you mean to me. I love you!

Finally after 7 long months overseas racing and training it's time to head home to Noosa, Australia. I can't wait to sleep in our own bed and jump back on my surfboard! I am planning on racing at Noosa in two weeks time although my next focus will be Ironman Western Australia in December. So after a few days off it's back on the horse.

Ford Ironman World Championship
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
October 8, 2011
S 2.4 mi. / B 112 mi. / R 26.2 mi.

Results - Elite Men

1. Craig Alexander (AUS) 8:03:56
2. Pete Jacobs (AUS) 8:09:11
3. Andreas Raelert (GER) 8:11:07
4. Dirk Bockel (LUX) 8:12:58
5. Timo Bracht (GER) 8:20:12
6. Mike Aigroz (SUI) 8:21:07
7. Raynard Tissink (RSA) 8:22:15
8. Andi Bocherer (GER) 8:23:19
9. Luke McKenzie (AUS) 8:25:42
10. Faris Al-Sultan (GER) 8:27:18