Yes, it's that time of year again. We are back in Bend, OR for the summer and to tell you the truth I couldn't be happier. I did enjoy Europe although I kept longing to be back in the USA in Bend where I always have a really good training routine. With all the moving around with our commitments in Europe I just never settled. Now I can finally unpack and sleep in the same bed for more the 5 nights!
The day we arrived the Bend locals announced that summer had "just" arrived that very day and we stepped off the plane in Redmond to a beautiful 85 degree evening. Heading out the next morning for a ride with our good mate Matty Lieto the thermometer hit 95F and I thought "This is great. Summer has hit Oregon right on time". Next day, BOOM barely over 50 degrees!!! Summer had NOT hit Bend! What's going on here?! So began a week of chilly temperatures that we would have to endure.
Happy to be back riding in Oregon. The Cascade range still has plenty of snow!
On Thursday evening Amanda and I were having dinner and we decided I should enter the Pacific Crest Half which was on Saturday. I was a little nervous to be toeing the line just 4 days off the plane from Europe as it isn't an easy event. I had always wanted to race Pac Crest but I have either been out of town at another race or haven't been in Bend. This presented a good opportunity to get a local race in without the hassles of travel. I looked at it s a hard training day. I needed to find my racing mojo after three shockers and this was the chance to get the monkey off my back. The very next day I was dropping my bike off in transition. It was all very spur of the moment.
I was up early the next morning to drive down to Sunriver to set up my run transition (T2). I can't begin to explain how cold I was at 6am walking across a frosty transition. I had thoughts about jumping back in the car to Bend and snuggling up in bed! I set my shoes down next to someone who had dropped their gear the day before. I am not joking when I say their shoes were covered in ice! Boy wasn't I glad I didn't set up the day before!
After setting up T2 I drove the 15 or so miles out to Wickiup Resevior. Along the way I noticed my car thermometer reading -1c (30F) . Those of you that know me know I HATE the cold. What had I signed up for? THis was by FAR the coldest race I had done in my 16 year career.
I got my bike set up at the lake and hoped with the sun shining it was going to warm up quickly. The water had been 60 F (15C ) the day before the race when I dropped my bike off but I knew with a freezing air temperature all hope that it was going to be warmer were dashed.
I didn't even bother warming up in the water so I went through a dry land routine. I was surprised I wasn't too uncomfortable in the cold water and led the field around the course. Kevin Everett come out on my feet but we had 2 minutes on the next guys. Problem was I was about to give most of those two minutes back when I couldn't get my feet out of my wetsuit. My hands were so numb and my hammy was cramping. I just had to laugh. Again, what had I signed up for? Did I mention I hated cold?!?
Kevin got a jump on me with my amateur transition and I spent the whole 90km trying to real him back in. I rode pretty conservative in the first 40km because I knew that the climb from Elk Lake to Sparks Lake would be tough and then the final climb to Mt. Bachelor was sure to be a killer topping out at 6,000ft. I was glad I put on a long sleeve bike jersey and gloves for the ride at that point because we were totally surrounded by snow. At some points we were riding through snow walls up to 10ft tall! I worked hard up the climbs and on the 15km descent into Sunriver but found I was 2 minutes down on Kevin going onto the run.
I felt amazing running the first few miles with ease and spectators were giving me splits that were coming down 20-30 seconds at a time. Awesome, I will have him in no time I thought. Soon enough I could see Kevin up ahead and I continued my pace and caught him pretty quickly. I pass him for the first time right at an aid station and from there he tagged me for the next 4 miles. I had a good rhythm and felt relaxed and thought I just had to be patient and I can get him. Well don't things turn around quickly sometimes? By mile 9 I was starting to feel the effects of my early run effort and by mile 10 I had dropped 15 seconds behind Kevin. I tried valiantly to push on but within the next mile the gap had blown out to 30 plus seconds and I had to go into survival mode for the last two miles. I crossed the line in second place, happy to be back "racing" and finally finding that mojo. Sometimes you get into a rut with your racing and training and I definitely needed a race like Pacific Crest to get myself going in the right direction.
PIX FROM PACIFIC CREST TRI
The day before Pacific Crest Wickiup Resevior was 60F (15c). I was hoping it might warm up ... it didn't!
You know it's cold when the person next to you has frozen shoes!!!
Driving to the race start. -1C (30F!) Brrrr ..... This was going to be a cold one!

I shot this the day before the race. Huge snow walls near the top of the Mt. Bachelor climb. Definitely a new experience for me!
Since Pac Crest it's been all about training. Frankfurt is looming and there is still hard work to do. Here are some pix I have snapped while out training the past week. You can see why I love training here ...

Riding McKenzie Pass with Matt Lieto and Carl Decker (pro mountain biker) The snow walls were 20 ft tall at some points!

A chilly day at the top of McKenzie Pass

Trying to keep up with Matt and Carl on the descents is NOT easy!

Mt. Bachelor snapped on my long ride today. It's open for 4th of July Skiing!

Great long ride on the Cascade Lakes Scenic Highway

Gotta love when you have the whole 50m pool to yourself!



