Saturday, March 19, 2011

SAN JUAN IRONMAN 70.3 RACE REPORT

I am happy to report that I finish 3rd today in the San Juan Ironman 70.3 in beautiful Puerto Rico. I guess I didn't think much of it backing up a week after the Abu Dhabi International pre-race but it was evident on my run today that I hadn't fully recovered. Maybe it was the travel, but I just felt terrible running! I am glad I swam and rode well to get myself a lead because it was definitely the worst run of my career. The run course was hot and hilly and I was relieved to make it over the line and hold on to the third podium spot.

The day started out well as I swam near the lead for most of the swim. Three guys gapped me a little in the final 200m (I don't think I was paying attention?) and I had to try and make up 10 seconds on the long 500m run to transition. Tim O'Donnell of the USA took off at the beginning of the bike and rocketed to a 30 second lead over myself, Paul Amey and David Kahn. Reading reports post race suggesting there were 10 guys riding together during the beginning of the bike were never the case. We were all well strung out over 2-3 minutes in the opening 45km. I caught and passed O'Donnell at around 55km and not long after found myself pulling away as we rode the final 30km back to town.

About 500m from transition a police motorbike stopped right in front of me on a crowded S bend corner and I locked up the back wheel and skidded into some poor spectators (sorry if anyone was hurt?) Not sure what it is with me and law enforcement vehicles these past two races? (I almost had a head on collision with a police car in the Abu Dhabi tri last weekend). Thankfully no damage (to me) was done and I quickly remounted, got my chain back on and pedaled into transition with a 50 second buffer to O'Donnell and 3 minutes to Amey. I recorded the fastest bike split of the day in 2.04.18 averaging a solid 43.4km/hr in blustery conditions.

I started the run conservatively but by the first mile I realized I was in for one tough run day. My legs were heavy and I had a real lethargic feeling to my whole body. I guess the Abu Dhabi tri, even though I had a DNF after 5 hours of racing was still enough to take the zipp out of my legs? O'Donnell made up the 50 seconds in around 5km and I was now in second place but loosing huge chunks of time on the guys behind. I had to use every ounce of will power to keep putting one foot in front of the other at one stage. Ironman runs have been easier than this was proving! Paul Amey passed me at the 11km mark and I had around 3 minutes to 4th place. I had to fight hard if I wanted to hold this podium spot!

In the final 3km I finally got some stride and rhythm going and I could relax a little knowing I had done enough to maintain third. Congratulations to both Tim and Paul for great races today. Their running was impressive on a tough course!

It's been six long months since my last finish at the Cancun 70.3 so I was happy to finally record a result and get myself back into the Ironman qualifying game. Now it's off to Lake Las Vegas, Nevada (home to the new Ironman 70.3 World Championships later in the year) for a 10 day training camp then a quick trip to San Diego for some sponsor commitments before my next race at the US Pro Ironman 70.3 Championships in Galverston, Texas. Hoping I find my running legs for that one because it is going to be super fast!

Photo's Copywrite (c) Ramon Serrano