Friday, October 22, 2010

IRONMAN HAWAII FROM A DIFFERENT VIEW

I was absolutely gutted I couldn't line up at the 2010 Hawaii Ironman World Championships. It isn't even the months of dedication in training to peak for that one day but mostly the missing out on racing against my mates, in front of my family, friends and representing my sponsors. I love everything about the Hawaii Ironman and I vow never to miss it again! I still know in my heart I made the best decision not to race this year. It's now two weeks post race and I am just finally starting to feel like my back is getting right to begin training again. All may not be lost for the end of season 2010 if I can get a solid 5 weeks of training in prior to the upcoming Asia/Pacific Ironman 70.3 Champs in Phuket. Training will definitely begin slowly and cautiously tomorrow but given the level of fitness I had prior to Hawaii I think a month is plenty of time to whip back to top shape. 

During the Ironman I was fortunate to be offered a place in the head control car driven by my sponsor Erik of K-Swiss. If I wasn't racing then I had to pay close attention to the dynamics of the race and the best way to do so would be from right near the action in the van. 

I will never forget the feeling I had watching the epic battle unfolding right before my eyes during the final miles of the marathon. Our van rolled behind Andreas Raelert as he closed in on Chris McCormack. World 50km record holder Josh Cox was sitting in the car with us and commentated his thoughts as the miles ticked by and the race got closer. The entourage of media, cars, motorbikes, helicopters and close to 100 people on bicycles and scooters made it even more dramatic as Macca and Andy now ran stride for stride. I had goosebumps! If anything was going to make me even hungrier to one day try to win this race the visual motivation I was getting at that second is all I will ever need!    

I have raced Hawaii four times (2010 would have been my 5th) but I can honestly say I learnt so much more as a spectator this year. Although I never want to be in that position ever again, maybe not racing this year is the education I needed to make me a better athlete here in the future?! I guess we will see in 2011? 

Watching the dynamics of the race from in the car was a massive learning experience for me
Keeping an eye on Chris Lieto and Maik Twelsiek on the ride back from Hawi 
I am usually chasing this guy (Chris Lieto) but this year I got to watch him ride from the car and roadside  
Macca entering the Energy Lab. Watching him, Andreas and Marino battle to the finish was something special to witness!
Four miles to go. Andy has Macca down to less than 10 seconds. I had goosebumps .... it was gripping stuff!