I put together a little video from last nights Epic 5 finish
Wow ... A week has just flown right off the calendar since Amanda and I landed here in Kona, Hawaii. Day one didn't really happen for us after a heavy few days of travel (Noosa - Perth - Noosa - Sydney - Hawaii) but since then we have really knuckled down and got some real quality training done.
I love training here in Kona. It didn't take long before I was reminded how brutal it can be when I copped a hiding by some really strong winds out on the Queen K. When Madame Pele flexes her muscles you usually end up a blubbering mess by the side of the road out in the lava fields. I almost got there!
The weather has been great though and it hasn't been as humid as past trips here making for perfect training conditions. It was getting a little chilly back home in Australia so it's nice to be waking up to 25 C days again!
I was really stoked when I found out Jason Lester and Rich Roll were in town to finish their final day of their Epic 5 adventure. Epic 5 was Jason's idea and he basically convinced Rich it would be a good idea to do 5 Ironmans on 5 Islands (Kauai, Oahu, Moliki, Maui and Big Island) in 5 days. So at 6pm on Tuesday afternoon I went down to the pier and started their last marathon with them. I had already ran in the morning but I did another 8 miles with them along Alii drive as the sunset over the pacific ocean. We had a blast! I went home, had a shower, had dinner and watched some TV but then decided it would be fun to go out and cheer the boys into the finish line. So at 10.30pm Amanda and I jumped on our scooters and rode out the Queen K to find them. We came across them at mile 23 on their way into town and we had a great time encouraging them all the way to the finish at the pier. I have to take my hat off to you both ... it was an amazing achievement. Respect!
With Jason & Rich before they head out for their 180km ride over the Ironman course. Day 5
11pm - Jason and Rich coming back into town to finish their Epic 5! Awesome

