Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BALI INTERNATIONAL TRIATHLON RACE REPORT

Well I have finally had the chance to sit down and write a race report for my recent win at the Bali International triathlon. 

We arrived in Bali on Wednesday after a mission trip from Goto Fukue (where Ironman Japan was held). Within 45 minutes of landing we were checking into the beautiful Four Seasons resort at Jimbaran Bay and then it was straight down to the beach for a seafood dinner under the stars. 

In the days leading up to the event we did a bit of sight seeing, shopping and I finally got to do some surfing. I got some great waves at Uluwatu, Padang Padang and Impossibles and loved every minute of it! I am already looking forward to returning to Bali sometime soon with my own quiver of surfboards and spending a week or two just surfing all day everyday! 

Back to the race. Friday we did a group ride over the course through Nusa Dua and Uluwatu with a police escort in toe. The bike course if a tough one with lots of steep hills and technical descents. When we all safely returned to Jimbaran we attended a beach side bike blessing ceremony which was a fun experience. Friday evening we attended the pre race party and meet some of the competitors, locals and the race organization. 

Race day we awoke to partly clouded skys and a perfect temperature for a race. By 7am we were all plunging into the Indian Ocean for the 1500m swim (which again some how ended up being long) as I came out in around 23 minutes and that's not to mention the 5 minute run plus transition to get on the bike! I built a 2 minute lead in the swim and continued to pull away on the bike. At the 32km point I got a chance to see my competition and I now had over 6 minutes. I took the steep, descents back to transition very easy and left transition with a healthy buffer going onto the run. I enjoyed myself on the run and took in my surroundings. It's not every day you are running through the middle of a busy sunday market in Bali! I crossed the line in 2 hours 10 minutes (about a minute slower than last year) and won by around 4 minutes to last years second place Freddy Croenborg. I was immediately surrounded by the Indonesian media and within a few minutes of having finished I found myself sitting down and talking to a local Bali radio station. 

A really great experience for Amanda and I was being able to donate some K-Swiss shoes and apparel to the Mercy Indonesia foundation who look after Orphaned children in Bali. Seeing the smiles on their faces when we handed them a box of shoes and a t-shirt was worth it's weight in gold. I really hope to see the kids next year out running or maybe even one day racing in triathlon. I look forward to catching up with Mercy on future trips to Bali to see the progress. 

Sunday we had a great night out with our mates Dan and KT and some other Aussies friends at the beachside bar Ku De Ta in Seminyak. What an awesome place! Unfortunately our stay in Bali was far too short and we had to leave on Monday night to connect with our flight back to the USA. Tonight we are on a one night stop over in Tokyo then it's USA for the rest of the summer leading up to Hawaii and Clearwater. 

Amanda and I have to thank Robb, Brennan, Ashley and Jack for everything they and the Bali Discovery crew did for us over the weekend. It really is a once in a lifetime experience racing in Bali and I already can't wait to return next year. I am sure the numbers are going to get stronger and stronger. Destination racing is where it's at!!! We also have to thank John at the Four Seasons, what an awesome resort. Thanks for the great hospitality!