Thursday, February 26, 2009

BACK IN LANGKAWI FOR THE TOUGHEST SHOW ON EARTH

It's been two years since our last adventure to Langkawi and a lot has changed in that short time. Last time I was here was to support Amanda in her second ever Ironman. Unfortunately for her it ultimately ended in disaster with her passing out unconscious on the side of the road at the 36km mark of the marathon. We spent a fun night in Langkawi hospital where she received eight bags of Glucose to bring her blood levels back to normal. Amanda learnt a lot from the experience and witnessing it for myself was also a valuable lesson of what can happen when you get it wrong. It's great to see Amanda return to this race that beat her down, she is back to conquer the demons.

I am excited to race here for the first time. I love the challenge of racing in hot and humid conditions which became a major factor in my decision to do this early season race. This race has a history of being brutally hot and I expect this year to be no different. There is a reason the race organizers promote the race as "The toughest show on earth". 

Amanda and I have spent the last three days doing some course reconnaissance. It seems the bike course is changed every year and the new course for 2009 looks to be a good one. Although it might be a little flatter in sections there are still a lot of short sharp hills and winding road to deal with. I really like the course as a whole although I am not sure how the 5 lap run course is going to go come late in the marathon? It might be a mad scramble to try and get a drink at the few aid station?! 

A really strong field has assembled for this years race and it should be interesting to see who has the form on the day. I feel I have prepared well, now it is a matter of putting it all together on the day. Hopefully I can report a good result come Sunday :)