It wasn't a great day at Singapore Ironman 70.3. All went according to plan in the swim and we exited as a group. Pete Jacobs led the field out followed by Terenzo Bozzone, Cam Watt, Bryan Rhodes and myself.
The bike was extremely frustrating. I went straight to the front and tried to gap the guys behind but I consistently got shut down. It seemed the guys were content to sit in the pack and basically draft till the end of the ride. I have to give credit to Terenzo and Cam Watt who also tried to get away.
At the 30km turn I crashed and spent 20-30 seconds on the ground when I slipped on the wet paint on the road. I was lucky I didn't break my arm! Having spent 30km trying to ride away from "the group" I was now left behind and that really annoyed me.
It took me 30km but I rode back to the guys. I went straight back to the front of the pack but again they weren't letting me ride away. I would ride at 35 miles an hour at 400+ watts and then turn around to see a guy right behind me so I would sit up and ride at 23 miles and hour and still they were content to sit there???
Basically it turned into a run race and it was on from the get go. I struggled in the first 5 km to get going but held in there for a 6th place finish. I was disappointed how the race turn out but hey there are plenty more races on the horizon ... time to move on and get focused for them :)
Pre race ... lightning storm in the background
Race start
Terenzo leads us out the first lap followed by Cam Watt and myself
Swim exit with race winner Simon Thompson
No drafting here ...
The run was HOT!
Sixth place ... not what I was after but not bad considering