Ironman China has been run and won and it will be sure to go down in the history books as one of the toughest ever! I was so glad I was just watching this one from the sidelines because it was a "death march" out there for the athletes! The heat and humidity was unbelievable and it reduced almost every single competitor in the race to a walk at some point. The aid stations were like a "warzone" with everyone crowding the tables for water and gatorade.
Amanda was just happy to finish this one. She was really happy with her 8th place (Pro) finish although the conditions meant aiming for any sort of PB time was way out of the question. It was just a matter of "trying to finish!"
We had an interesting time in Haikou. The city was very busy with a huge population near the CBD. The farmlands out of town where the bike course routed was more primitive. The little towns were busy and the locals would constantly stop and stare or wave a friendly hello watching these crazy people ride past on these "space aged bikes". It was a really great experience.
I look forward to coming back one day and racing in Haikou. I am not sure if Amanda could say the same?!? Maybe she is scarred by the experience? It would be hard to forgot the suffering she went through out there! She is a tough girl though and I am sure she will race there in future.
Next stop is the USA ... San Francisco! I am sure the weather won't be so hot there :)
Amanda was just happy to finish this one. She was really happy with her 8th place (Pro) finish although the conditions meant aiming for any sort of PB time was way out of the question. It was just a matter of "trying to finish!"
We had an interesting time in Haikou. The city was very busy with a huge population near the CBD. The farmlands out of town where the bike course routed was more primitive. The little towns were busy and the locals would constantly stop and stare or wave a friendly hello watching these crazy people ride past on these "space aged bikes". It was a really great experience.
I look forward to coming back one day and racing in Haikou. I am not sure if Amanda could say the same?!? Maybe she is scarred by the experience? It would be hard to forgot the suffering she went through out there! She is a tough girl though and I am sure she will race there in future.
Next stop is the USA ... San Francisco! I am sure the weather won't be so hot there :)
No comments:
Post a Comment