Wednesday, August 29, 2007

CANADA

Sorry it has been ages since I have updated my travels. To tell you the truth it's been non stop since we left Europe 2 weeks ago!

After a few days of awesome training with my good mate Mathias Hecht in Willisau, Switzerland we flew back to San Diego, USA. We then started the long drive up to Penticton, Canada for Amanda's Ironman. Like earlier in the season we stop along the way and trained on our journey north. We stopped at Lake Tahoe in California and our base of Bend, Oregon before finally ending up in Penticton.

Penticton is a beautiful city between two Lakes. I have really enjoyed the riding through the hills and countryside. The Kelowna Valley Trail is up there as one of the best trails I have run in my life. I loved every step of my long runs though the vineyards and cliffs beside the lake. Stunning scenery!

Sunday Amanda had an awesome race! I was very proud of the way she raced. She rode into the lead of the age group womens race over the top of Richter Pass only to get a flat tire as she decended and a bunch of girls passed her. She kept her composure and rode strong to the finish repassing some of the girls. She had a great marathon despite having very little long runs in her legs. She finished in 5th place in 10 hrs 56 mins on a very tough, windy day. I was very excited when she crossed the line and I gave her her finishers medal. She has really worked hard all year and has been soooo close to that Kona slot on 4 other occassions .... she got it this time! Congratulations babe .... you deserve it!

Now it is back to Bend for 4 solid weeks of training before heading to Hawaii for the big one!

No comments: