Tuesday, July 03, 2007

THE BATTLE AT MIDWAY

Well a week after Ironman I really didn't expect to be racing the Battle at Midway race. We decided to travel down to Utah so Amanda could have a race leading into her next two half Ironmans. She also had the chance to race in the "Elite Amateur" category which she was very excited about ... her first race for prize money!

I felt better and better by the day and on Saturday afternoon decided I would have a race and see how I would go. There was a very solid feild assembled for a first year race ... I really didn't give myself much of a chance of getting in the top five.

I swam terrible (might be something to do with not swimming since Ironman?) and had a bit of work to do on the bike to get back up to the leaders. I rode through the field into 2nd place and came off the bike with Steven Hackett and Marcel Vifian (Walto was out of site 3 mins plus ahead!)

The run course was a killer! It was held around the 2002 Olympic x-country skiing track hence lots of short sharp hills up and down (not something I look forward to on tired Ironman legs!) I ran well and finished a close 4th place ... so I was super happy.

This week we are heading towards Seattle, WA for the Lake Stevens 70.3 event. Looking forward to traveling back up through Idaho!

RESULTS - BATTLE OF MIDWAY TRIATHLON, UTAH JULY 1


1 Craig Walton BOULDER CO 1:53:06
2 Marcel Vifian PARK CITY UT 1:55:35
3 Stephen Hackett SHELLY BEACH 1:56:35
4 Luke McKenzie GOLD COAST 1:57:40
5 Griffin Leon BOULDER CO 1:58:10
6 Cameron Widoff BOULDER CO 1:59:43
7 Benjamin Hoffman DURANGO CO 2:00:31
8 Joe McDaniel COLORADO SPRINGS CO 2:01:22
9 Michael Nordberg SALT LAKE CITY UT 2:01:22
10 Lewis Elliott SCOTTSDALE AZ 2:02:11

The Litespeed Saber ready to rock!

Chilly morning before race start

Catching up with the Aussies at the start line

2nd out of T2 ... finished in 4th

No comments: