Sunday, July 02, 2006

GRADE A BALONEY!

"Grade A Baloney", was how Clarky put it after our descent from Estes Park today in driving rain, lightning and strong wind! I laughed! (it's a funny line out of one of our favourite movies "Anchorman" with comedian Will Farrel for those who don't know!) It sure was .... "Only Lance trains in this", I said. The ride started out nice enough, a beautiful day in Boulder. We ascended the South St. Vrain climb up to Allens Park, past the St. Malo chuch and under the enormnous Long Peaks (14000ft!) and then desended into Estes Park. That's when all hell broke loose and the weather turned nasty. After a coffee at Starbucks to warm us up we tried our luck and getting back to Boulder hoping the rain wouldn't get us. How wrong we were! Before we knew it on the 14 mile descent into Lyons we were faced with some of the worst weather I have experienced on the bike. I think we both had mild hypothermia because we were very under prepared for the conditions (last time I don't take a jacket up in the mountains!). Hypothermia was the least of our worries as we were also trying to dodge lightning strikes. Some of them were very close! We made it home with seconds to spare before it started again ... what a ride. As the saying goes "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"!


South St. Vrain Canyon (awesome!)

Clarky and I South St. Vrain Canyon ... check out that Aero position! lol...

Clarky rides towards the enormous Longs Peak (14000ft +)

Me at the St. Malo church and Longs Peak in the background